RARA-AVIS: Payback/Point Blank

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:25:08 -0400

I just saw both these films, almost back to back. It may be sacreligious to say, but I thought PAYBACK was superior in almost every way. Lee Marvin was great in the role, but Gibson was even scarier, and the more recent film was tighter, told the story better and was less preoccupied with being artsy (although the blue-ish tint of PAYBACK made it look almost like an old black and whiter noir at times).

And it makes me wonder about the stories that Payback was tinkered with to make the Porter character more likable. Huh? How'd they do that? Have Gibson shoot someone in the head only four times, instead of five? All in all, a nasty, hardboiled treat. And far superior to the director's last flick, LA CONFIDENTIAL.

So shoot me.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ Now available! Our Summer Issue, focussing on Radio Private Eyes, plus new fiction by Peter Parmantie and Kathy Korty.