RARA-AVIS: Re: Runaway train

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:11:02 -0400

jane asked:

>Just a thought apropos of a throwaway line in my last message about costume
>dramas,which started one of those 3am train of thoughts, is there any truly
>hardboiled historical fiction, by which I mean written contemporarily, about
>pre 20th century.

I'm sure a lot of others will jump in with suggestions, but much of Elmore Leonad's early work, both novels and short stories, set in the last century in the American West, is about as hardboiled as they come. The recent collection of short stories, THE TONTO WOMAN, and the novel, HOMBRE, are both worth checking out.

In fact, I bet Elmore could rewrite one of his old "cowboy" books as a modern crime thing with minimal effort. All that really changed was the setting.

Kevin Burton Smith