Re: RARA-AVIS: more money for thicker books

M-T (matrxtech@sprintmail.com)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:07:29 -0400

Sullivan's post is right on the mark. Few long novels justify their size; for each Cervantes or Dostoyevsky there thousands of writers of thick potboilers without literary merit. I can recall very few great thick novels from the more or less recent past: del Paso's _Palinuro de M鸩co_ was one; Norman Mailer's _Harlot's Ghost_ was another; Pynchon's
_Mason & Dixon_ was spectacular; and, to say on topic, T. Jefferson Parker's _The Triggerman's Dance_ was a great hardboiled read -- I mentioned Parker's excellent novel in this group before.

Regards,

mt