Re: RARA-AVIS: more money for thicker books

Bill Crider (abc@wt.net)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:41:31 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks to Mark Sullivan for reprinting Mark Monlux's remarks about paperbacks. (The Monlux site is really good, and I second Mark Sullivan's recommendation.) I've been whining about the size of books for years now, but it's true the people want something they can use for a doorstop these days. Or at least the publishers think it's true. One writer who bucks the trend is Joe Lansdale, who continues to write at about Gold Medal length. His latest, FREEZER BURN, should be out any day now. I asked him about it when it was in progress, and he described it as "Flannery O'Connor and James M. Cain screwing in a ditch." I've read about half of it, and I'd have to say he was pretty accurate. Robert B. Parker writes short, too, but the publishers give him the big margins, thick paper, big type treatment so that his 60,000 word books look much, much longer.

Bill Crider