RARA-AVIS: Re: Small Vices

Gerald So (gso@optonline.net)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:03:26 -0400

Hello, all.

    Mantegna was fine as Spenser. Though some of his lines fell flat, he pulled off the book Spenser's trademark smug, quiet, yet deadly attitude.
    I was also pleased with Mahmud-Bey's portrayal of Hawk. This Hawk was was chattier than Brooks--about right for Hawk of the books, I think. He pulled off "My name is Hawk . . . " (ala Michael Keaton's
"I'm Batman.")
    The actors for Gino and Vinnie Morris were close enough (though I pictured Vinnie younger). Rugar was right-on, as were Clint Stapleton and Glenda Baker.
   I found myself wondering what I might think of the movie if didn't know the books so well. Because I *did* know the books, I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed. (Standards too high?)
   I didn't find Urich, Brooks, and Stock to be the perfect cast, and this one wasn't perfect either. But I did feel the movie was closer to RBP's books in feel and execution.
   The lack of voice-overs was refreshing. In a 2-hour movie, where we look at Spenser as opposed to through him, a little voice cutting in to tell what he's thinking can get old fast.
   I give it a 7 out of 10. Good for a cable movie, meaning I would buy it on video if I had a five- or ten-dollar gift certificate.

                                                               Gerald