Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Small Vices

Jerry Buck (petecastle@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:25:08 -0700

> Is that what most of the recent Spenser books are like? The mystery's
> solution was pretty obvious, and the rest was a) Spenser and Susan cooking
> and smooching and b) Spenser and Hawk being tough. I could see this
> getting pretty boring.

    I don't think any of the Spenser books have much mystery. You know what the end is going to be. It's the journey that's interesting. However, I think Spenser and Hawk are too tough--unrealistically tough and unafraid. I don't believe Marlowe punched or shot his way to a solution.

    It was the same with Travis McGee. You usually knew where you were going, but the trip was enjoyable and Travis's acerbic observations were half the fun. But I don't think Travis's treatment of women as "wounded birds" who need his special treatment stands up too well.

    Jerry Buck