RARA-AVIS: Clutching at Straw Dogs

ejm duggan (ejmd@cwcom.net)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:06:29 +0000

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Kevin Smith <kvnsmith@colba.net> wrote:

> It was based on a book called THE SIEGE OF TRENCHER'S FARM by
> Gordon Williams (who later teamed up with a British football
> player to write three hardboiled novels featuring London P.I.
> James Hazell).

The footballer, IIRC, was El Tel, Terry Venebals who played for QPR and Spurs in the 1970s, went off to play/manage in Spain for a while (hence the El Tel appellation) and didn't get the England job. Apart from wearing a sheepskin coat, Venables has a reputation for being a bit dodgy (there was some money scam in the papers a few years ago) and has, I think, been mixed up with some shady (or formerly shady) characters. Ronnie Knight springs to mind.

Gordon Williams wouldn't be a member of the English faculty at St Davids University College, Lampeter, by any chance? (probably not if he's one of El Tel's muckers).

ED
(who's just moved house and has everything still in boxes, so no comments on the reading for a while yet)