RARA-AVIS: Clutching at Straw Dogs

ejm duggan (ejmd@cwcom.net)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:32:58 +0000

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, "cooper" <jane@almaludo.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Now things have calmed down there is a better system and vids
> are certificated in the same way as films.

Not quite. Video releases differ from cinema releases inasmuch as the BBFC will ask for more cuts to be made for video release. These differ again from what is shown on television. When I complained about the word 'fuck' being edited out of the BBC2 transmission of _Repo Man_ I had a letter from Lady Elspeth Howe telling me my complaint was not supported by the BSC because Alex Cox agreed to the re-edit!

AFAIK, C4 doesn't cut films. (The same is probably true of Film Four, but we haven't yet got round to subscribing to what used to be called Council House Telly).

ED