Re: RARA-AVIS: Clutching at Straw Dogs

cooper (jane@almaludo.freeserve.co.uk)
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:02:11 +0100

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Sullivan <AnonymeInc@webtv.net> To: rara-avis@icomm.ca <rara-avis@icomm.ca> Date: 18 July 1999 19:16 Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Clutching at Straw Dogs

Mark Sullivan Wrote;As far as I can see from across the pond, the UK has some odd glitches in its video bans. Yep, we certainly do, or at least did. In the early eighties when home videos really took off, there was no system of certification, so stuff like Driller Killer, I Spit on Your Grave, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and even Art house stuff like Ai No Corrida were freely available to all, from 8 to 80 as the saying goes. This was duely pounced on by our sanctimonious and hypocritical tabloid press -Ban This Filth_ yadda yadda. So instead of sitting down and sorting out a sensible policy the government just banned everything that looked vaguely dodgy. Now things have calmed down there is a better system and vids are certificated in the same way as films. And now those films that were originally banned in the 80s are back -Abel Ferrara, now a proper director so back comes Driller Killer-. As to films like Reservoir Dogs, this is now a regular on TV, but yes was originally banned, something which probably cause Mr T to lose much sleep, as it became the most talked about film of the year. But there will still be the odd withdrawal of a title after particularly nasty crimes;vis The Chucky films-no not the Rugrats- and the Good Son, after a very horrible child murder. Oh but Lock Stock, no, no calls for this to be banned.-It's good though isn't it,, just shows that we can make other things than crap smug posh shy-yet appealing English git comedies - you know who he is- and costume dramas- shudder. And LS and 2SB is pretty HB, so I'm kinda back on subject. As to Straw Dogs-finally, sorry for the digression- I think it was banned on video, although my husband did see it at the pictures, and by the by, didn't rate it much. I started reading the book a while ago, and gave it up as a bad job, it gave me a real feeling of distaste and oppression; otherwise known as the eeyeuch factor - I don't usually give up on such grounds, but I really just didn't like it, and lifes too short to waste on books you don't want to read, that's what school's for. FF Jane