RARA-AVIS: Everybody smokes in hell

Frederick Zackel (fzackel@wcnet.org)
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:03:24 -0400

I'm a quarter of the way through John Ridley's new novel Everybody Smokes In Hell, and already I'm recommending it. On the jackets, Ridley is compared to Chandler, Elmore Leonard, Thompson and Mosley.

This novel, Ridley says, is a screwball comedy, "a Sturgis redux". And it's funny.

He writes at the start: "This book is a work of fiction. Any similarities between the miscreants in this story and the actual insipid degenerates who populate the city I hate more than cancer is purely coincidental. Anyone claiming to be represented in this novel is suffering from severe closet-psychotic ego issues which would best be dealt with immediately."

This book debuts in September from Knopf.

Frederick Zackel