RE: RARA-AVIS: All Clete All the Time

Tyler, Tom (Ttyle@herrick.com)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:06:24 -0400

At the time the NOPD's activities made national news (after an officer murdered a witness in a case he'd helped investigate, I think), NOPD's pay rate was incredibly low - some cops were earning less than $20K per year. New Orleans' year-round population is one of the country's poorest, and the transient tourist population comes to drink and whore. The state's political tradition includes the Longs, Blaze Starr, and thrice-indicted
(but never convicted) Edwin Edwards. Given this environment, can anyone be surprised their police might be blatantly corrupt and brutal (as opposed to their mildly corrupt and brutal behavior in other cities)?