RARA-AVIS: All Clete All the Time

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:51:55 -0400

Jerry wrote:

> Just your typical New Orleans policeman.

Except that now, after stints as a cop, a mob bag man, and a hired thug, Clete's currently a bona-fide P.I. Are NOPD cops really that bad?

As for a Clete-only book looking like a rip-off of Robert Crais' LA REQUIEM, well, hell, who cares? If Crais can survive the Spenser-copy cat charges levelled at him, Burke can probably live through it too. Crais and Burke are very different writers, anyway; far more different than Crais and Parker.

John Goodman as Clete? I see Clete as dangerous, so it's hard, at first, to picture Fred Flinstone in the role. He'd have to get really down and dirty and sweaty. Maybe a few five-day benders to prep for it. But Goodman has surprised me before.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ Now available! Our Summer Issue, focussing on Radio Private Eyes, plus new fiction by Peter Parmantie and Kathy Korty.