RARA-AVIS: Re: An Ideal Spenser?

J. Kingston Pierce (jpwrites@sprynet.com)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 13:04:11 -0700

Of course, everybody who reads Robert B. Parker's Spenser series will have a different idea of what actor might best portray him. Urich, to me, always seemed a bit wimpy. Mantegna doesn't strike me as any more appropriate, though I'm willing to watch "Small Vices" before rendering any further opinion.

To me, the perfect actor to play Spenser would be Tommy Lee Jones. He has the right build, a strong presence, and the kind of face that lets you know he's seen ups and downs in life--just like Parker's character. I can imagine Jones, as Spenser, and maybe Ving Raimes, as Hawk, strolling down the mean streets of Boston, no problem...

-- Jeff Pierce