Re: RARA-AVIS: Underwater- pistol firing

Etienne Borgers (freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 23:44:25 -0700 (PDT)

---Etienne Borgers <freeweb@rocketmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something about new weapons, but
> otherwise I think it will not fire, as gunpowder
> needs air(oxygen in fact) to burn (and I doubt that
> oygen normally *dissolved* and present in water is
> sufficient for that effect?)

Well, it appears I was *wrong*! Proof that physics has to take reality into acount.

I finally got a professional answer, from people
*using* guns (not just carrying them). In short: the pistol will fire underwater, the bullet will be shot...BUT mechanical damages will occur to the barrel (impairing its future precision) and most important of all, the shot will lack power. Lack of power is so real that consensus is that you can hit your target only by " barrel-tip touching it". Depending on calibers, models...etc *maybe* point blank could be achieved.

Warning: better not to try it! Case closed (?)

E.Borgers Hard-boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384