Re: RARA-AVIS: Hellman-Hammett

Ckottos Nikolai (greenman@cyberport.com)
Sat, 03 Jul 1999 16:06:49 -0700

K. Harper wrote:

> Eddie D. wrote:
>
> >Can someone help with 'sitkak'?
>
> She's referring to "Flitcraft." Had to puzzle a minute over that one myself.

The Flitcraft story is one of my favorite passages in American literature, but are you sure it's not a reference to Sitka in the Alaskan Panhandle? Hammett was stationed in Alaska during WW2 (though mostly in the Aleutians). Unfortunately I don't have enough biographical material here to check that out.

-Ckottos Nikolai

--
"We never are who we think we are and the people we think we know are
never the people we think we know and the little country station never

--Kinky Friedman