Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Dashiell Hammett. Detective. Writer.

Mark Sullivan (AnonymeInc@webtv.net)
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 09:14:24 -0400 (EDT)

I also wondered why they didn't go with Gores, especially considering he has specifically written about Hammett. I also found it odd that over half the show titled "Detective. Writer." was spent on time when he was neither. How come it took about 20 to 25 minutes to say he could no longer write, but only about 10 to 15 to talk about when he could and only about 5 about when he was a Pinkerton.

Kevin is absolutely correct in saying nothing was even mentioned about his influence. Can you imagine a discussion of Hammet's detective fiction without even mentioning any other writers, not Carroll John Daly before him or Chandler or others after him? Also agree with Kevin about the grating female biographer of Hellman and Hammett (don't remember her name and this exposure certainly does not make me want to read anything she has written), she just became annoying.

Mark