Re: RARA-AVIS: Bowman Article

kip.stratton@natinst.com
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:27:16 -0500

Charles Bowden is an excellent writer; I'd recommend BLOOD ORCHID, for what it is (although I don't see how I could stretch it to be included as a noir title of any sort). Bowden, who lives in Tucson, has written about a dozen nonfiction books of different sorts, but I particularly like his work on the U.S./Mexico border and his essays on drug trafficking. He used to write a lot for GQ, but a year or so ago he moved over to ESQUIRE. Again, I think he's one of the best prose stylists out there right now.

Later...Kip

AnonymeInc@webtv.net (Mark Sullivan) on 06/30/99 05:13:45 PM

Please respond to rara-avis@icomm.ca

To: rara-avis@icomm.ca cc: (bcc: Kip Stratton/AUS/NIC) Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Bowman Article

I like Robert Stone quite a bit (I'm also a couple behind on him, never could get into boat stories), but I've never really thought of him as noir. However, I can see how the argument could be made, although I would probably choose Dog Soldiers (drug deal gone wrong) or A Hall of Mirrors (assassination) before Children of the Light, also. I guess Bowman was addressing the feeling of gloom and doom that hangs over that book, or he just has something about Mexico as a setting.

But my real question is, has anyone read the Charles Bowden book, Blood Orchid, or the peripherally mentioned Chimney Rock by Charlie Smith? Are they any good? I don't know these two.

Mark