Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: E R JOHNSON is free

M-T (matrxtech@sprintmail.com)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:36:17 -0400

Etienne:

<<- Was jailed in 1964, sentenced to a minimum of 25 years; apparently was released in 1992
- No traces of other novels after his 1990 Dead Flowers
- I found 9 novels by Johnson, inclusive Dead Flowers>>

I'm glad he's free (28 years in prison is a loooong time). I can only add that he was born in 1937.

Someone with a lot of time should try to track Johnson and interview him. Now *that's* a good topic for a Salon article. As far as we know, his entire writing career took place in jail, which may be a first.

Regards,

mt