RARA-AVIS: Re: Salon article on new noir

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 23:26:06 -0400

Diane Trap wrote:

>My impression was that Bowman leafed through five books, having
>decided noir was beneath his notice. Another reader's interpretation
>of the article might be different.

Nah, I think you nailed it on the head. It's like Bowman just picked five books at random, and slapped them together, claiming it was an article. And the editor fell for it.

While the individual comments are interesting, the whole thing together means nothing. It's not an overview; it just thumbnails of five books, and no real attempt to link them together. Current noir? Most of those books are at least ten years old.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ Stay tuned for our Summer Issue: Radio Private Eyes, plus new fiction and poetry.