RARA-AVIS: Noir Salons

Reed Andrus (randrus@home.com)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:25:13 -0700

> From: Diane Trap <trap@mail.libs.uga.edu>
> Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Salon article on new noir
>
> > Salon's David Bowman wrote a quick roundup of five current noir novels he
> > likes.
>
> My impression was that Bowman leafed through five books, having
> decided noir was beneath his notice. Another reader's interpretation
> of the article might be different.
>
> -----Diane Trap
> trap@mail.libs.uga.edu

I suppose there will be some serious argument about JDM-as-noir, and I can't comment on Bowman's method of perusal. But I will say that I've read one Kem Nunn -- The Dogs of Winter -- and can highly recommend it for all of the reasons and definitions given in this newsgroup. Surfer noir is exactly the right description. Thickly written, almost pretending to "Litratchure," but fine storytelling, and bleak, bleak ambiance.

... Reed