Re: RARA-AVIS: Some recent readings

M-T (
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 15:14:02 -0500

Mari Hall:

<<Is he still in prison??? Joan Kahn was his editor and she passed away some time back, maybe that is why he hasn't had anything published. Didn't he also write a book with "Mongo" in the title (Mongo's back in town??) that was made into a movie?>>

Yes, _Mongo's Back in Town_ is probably his most famous book -- I think it's a cold and brutal masterpiece of harboiled writing. Hell, I even put it among My Top Ten All-Time Hardboiled Novels some time ago in this very same august forum.

I've never seen the film, though.