RARA-AVIS: Re: CITY magazine

Eddie Duggan (Eddie.Duggan@suffolk.ac.uk)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:23:30 +0100

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, "Frederick Zackel" <fzackel@wcnet.org> wrote:

> City magazine. Published in mid-1970s in San Francisco.
> Cover story on Dashiell Hammett?

Yup, that's the one

> It's worth fifty dollars?

I don't know about 'worth fifty dollars', but that's what I seen as the asking price on more than one occasion. Go to ABE books and run a search, see if any come up ... 'register' your search and you'll get an email, with all the details next time one turns up.

I paid about $17 for mine, which I thought was OK. I certainly wouldn't pay $50. It's taking me a long time to collect a set of Hammett digests (the Spivak ones, I've got the Dells) because I don't want to pay silly money. A lot of the Spivak digests are priced at around the $100 mark. A few are set between $30 and $50. And then there are the ones that I want... For me, the Spivak digests are *worth* $15-20 a book, for others they might be worth more. But I guess everything you buy is worth less than the asking price. (Maybe I'm just a tight git).

ED