RARA-AVIS: RE: Don Winslow--California Fire and Light

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:23:27 -0400

I second that emotion. Mari Hall (hey, isn't "i" a vowell?) said:

>Has anybody read this...did it remind you of Vachss, I mean with the
>short chapters (sometimes not even a page). It's almost noir and
>probably won't get the recognition it deserves.

I dunno. It's awfully damn good, though, and might really catch on. I hope. I'm not sure about the Vachss comparison, though. Winslow's character, Jake Wade, is a slacker surfer dude/claims adjuster, not an obsessed, paranoid vigilante with a hate-on for child abusers. Then again, I'm woefully behind on my Burke. Maybe this summer.

And it is almost noir. Not quite, because I always think of noir as being rather claustrophobic, and this book's action ranges wide and far, but it does get pretty intense, and the corruption and betrayal are almost stomach-turning, at times.

But I agree with Mari. A great book.

And, please, nobody get their panties all twisted here for the off-topic post, but we just clicked by number 800. Kudos, Bill, on a great list.

Kevin Burton Smith

"You have the right to free speech, As long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it."
(from KNOW YOUR RIGHTS by The Clash)