RARA-AVIS: Uncollected Hammett

Douglas Greene (dgreene@odu.edu)
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 07:27:13 -0400

 The stories that Mr. Duggan listed are "uncollected" only in the sense (as he indicated)that they didn't appear in the relatively recent cloth collections. Most of them were collected in the 10 Queen-edited paperback originals of the 40's-early 50's (with one belated book published in 1962), and some later appeared in the Dell reprints.

The only genuinely uncollected Hammett I know of are:

"The Road Home"
"The Crusader"
"The Diamond Wager"

As I mentioned, a new(ish) THIN MAN will appear next year, and some time ago a scenario written by Hammett for a THIN MAN movie was published in THE NEW BLACK MASK.

Doug