Re: RARA-AVIS: New Hammett

pabergin (pabergin@gte.net)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:31:46 -0400

Bill Crider writes:
<<Any new Hammett collection is cause for rejoicing, but I'd bet there's nothing new there for serious Hammett fans. I can't imagine that anyone has managed to come up with anything that hasn't been collected at least once in the past.>>

I'm with you, but there may be a piece or two which have been MISCLASSIFIED. It happens.

Before I joined the list, I checked out the R-A bibliography section and was amused to find "The Parthian Shot," Hammett's first published fiction and his first magazine appearance of any kind, classified as nonfiction. It was one of those "hmmm moments." So who knows? Maybe in this new collection we'll find a nice little nonfiction piece called, oh, I dunno, Dead Yellow Women? Or maybe a hardboiled story for Albert Samuel's jewelery store. It's all in how you look at things, I guess. PB