Re: RARA-AVIS: Hannibal

james.doherty@gsa.gov
23 Jun 99 08:38:00 -0400

  Re Bill's post about *Hannibal*:

"If you want to make a case that the book is hardboiled or noir, by all means go ahead."

Why should anyone have to "make a case" before discussing a book on this list? Talking about someone who's clearly *not* hardboiled, like Ellery Queen or S.S. Van Dine, is one thing, but a writer of tough, hard-edged cop novels shouldn't be that controversial a subject. List members who're bringing up a book must think it's hardboiled or they wouldn't be bringing it up on this list. Why can't we just give them the benefits of any doubts we have? List members who arent't interested in the book don't have to participate in the thread.

As police procedurals, which generally have been accepted as being within the hardboiled fold by list members, the Harris books certainly qualify. It's not as though Harris is Agatha Christie or Ngaio Marsh, for crying out loud! Why can't people who think Harris is an appropriate subject for this list discuss him without having to justify their choice? - Jim Doherty