Re: RARA-AVIS: serial killers- go home!

Etienne Borgers (freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 03:51:12 -0700 (PDT)

I totally agree with Mark's deconstruction of this now current trend, heir of Gothic and gore: the psycho serial killer novel.

Besides Chandler's essay on crime writing, I suggest that Colin Watson's essay on British crime literature becomes also compulsary reading for any would-be member of this list to be accepted... Will facilitate to give a definition of what is NOT hard-boiled.

Hannibal is certainly not hard-boiled, not noir... just gorish. That people like it does not change the issue.

Serial killer is to hard-boiled novel what special effects explosions are to crime movies: a nuisance.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

---Mark Sullivan <AnonymeInc@webtv.net> wrote:

> A few ideas I've been thinking about lately:
>
> Raymond Chandler once famously wrote:
>
> "Hammett gave murder back to the kind of people
that commit it for
> reasons, not just to provide a corpse: and with the
means at hand, not
> with hand-wrought duelling pistols, curare, and
tropical fish."

> Somehow, I think too many writers have gotten away
from that treatise
> and I think the increased reliance on serial
killers as villains is
> largely to blame.
(HEAVILY SNIPPED)

> So I guess what I'm saying is, serial killer books
are merely cozies