RE: RARA-AVIS: Hannibal

William Denton (buff@pobox.com)
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:19:33 -0400 (EDT)

On 22 June 1999, Peter Walker wrote:

:> I think the general consensus was that "Hannibal" wasn't
:> hardboiled/noir enough to fit the RARA AVIS template..
:
: Err, well excuse me, must be working on another notion of hard-boiled.
: Could someone just run that by me again or have you all talked about
: Hannibal already and I missed it? should we get on to Stephen King?

I asked about this on 8 June, and Mario T. said _Silence of the Lambs_ was
"Yes, it's a hair-raising thriller with psycho, not a hardboiled or noir novel." I don't know if _Hannibal_ is different, but from what I've heard it's the same sort of thing, so, while I know Harris has fans on the list, and that traffic has been on the quiet side, I would encourage people to go to rec.arts.mystery to talk about the book. If you want to make a case that the book is hardboiled or noir, by all means go ahead.

Bill