RARA-AVIS: Sam as Trav

pabergin (pabergin@gte.net)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:36:15 -0400

Bill Crider writes:
<<Jerry Buck: Very interesting and entertaining post about Stirling Silliphant, and I agree with you 100% about what he did to Travis McGee. Elliot was all wrong for the part,>>

Well, sure.

So was Rod Taylor, for that matter, but you don't hear him getting beat up about it nearly as much as ol' Sam. Maybe it's because Taylor had Theodore Bickel as Meyer. Perfect casting offsetting awful casting or something like that. But that (about Bickel) is just my opinion. Unless we want to start playing the idiotic "let's cast this novel" game, maybe we ought to admit that the linearity of most movies precludes any character with reasonable depth being translated to the satisfaction of all. Maybe any.

It works both ways, of course.

Can you imagine a ROUTE 66 novel? PB