RARA-AVIS: Re: Sebastian Japrisot etc

Kershed@aol.com
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:07:51 EDT

I'm a big fan of Sebastian Japrisot.

Presently available from Harvill in the UK: Trap For Cinderella by S颡stian Japrisot, £4.99, ISBN: 1860465528 Rider On The Rain by S颡stian Japrisot, £4.99, ISBN: 1860465420 The Lady In The Car With Glasses And A Gun A Very Long Engagement, ISBN 1860463614 (not noir but a brilliant book!)

>From No Exit:
Women In Evidence, ISBN 1874061254

Also in English translation One Deadly Summer The 10:30 From Marseille Goodbye, Friend

Many of these were published by Corgi in the mid to late 60s, and old copies should be hanging around the secondhand bookshops.

I would also recommend Delacorta, a Swiss writer published in French. He wrote a series of novels about Serge Gorodish and Alba, which have been translated into English (Penguin in UK, Ballantine in US):

Diva (filmed) Nana Luna Lola Vida

There is also a novel about Zulu, Miami's hottest PI, called The Rap Factor
(Atlantic Monthly Press)

There's Boris Vian's I Spit On Your Graves from Tamtam Press ISBN 096623460X

Also worth picking up is the aforementioned Daniel Pennac, who I really like. He's published by Harvill in the UK, and I've seen imported copies in Black Orchid in NY, so some have made it over the water.

Scapegoat by Daniel Pennac, Harvill, £9.99 ISBN 186046443 The Fairy Gunmother by Daniel Pennac, Harvill, £6.99 ISBN 1860464459 Write To Kill by Daniel Pennac, £10.99 ISBN 1860465366 (out July 1)

I've written positive reviews of books by Pennac, Japrisot and Vian for Crime Time. If you can't get Crime Time, e-mail me and I'll send them to you.

- paul