Re: RARA-AVIS: Interview with Dennis Lehane

Timothy S. Oliver (CSEM@zianet.com)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:05:13 -0700

Lehane is predictable and contrived. Though he dearly wants his character to be Spencer, he isn't. The dame keeps letting her husband beat on her, yet the hero just mopes about it. Any self-respecting dick (read knight in tarnished armor) would take care of that little problem without dropping the ash off his gasper.

It's like someone entered all the elements of hard-boiled fiction into a computer. The computer generates a story and voila, Lehane.