RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled Dames

Kate Derie (cluelass@cluelass.com)
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 21:07:34 -0700

Recently read Bitch Factor, by Chris Rogers, but in spite of the title I think it falls short of you-know-what. YMMV. Another bounty hunter, this one a professional (a burned-out former DA), who rounds up a guy accused of the hit-and-run killing of a little girl, and winds up investigating the case. Well-written, but a bit too predictable for me.

Agree that Carol O'Connell's Kathy Mallory is hard as nails -- only problem for me is she's equally hard to believe. Well, I suppose she has only the usual superpowers -- freezing miscreants with a single glance, etc. I just got the fourth in this series, so I guess there's something intriguing there.

I would also nominate the Lily Bard series by Charlaine Harris (don't swallow your teeth-- the sweet, funny, charming Ms. Harris is also a black belt in karate). Lily is recovering from a horrific criminal experience by working as a cleaning lady in a small Arkansas town. She is one tough broad and I have enjoyed every moment spent in her company. All right, all right, I know I said before that amateurs don't qualify, but a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. Don't get confused with Charlaine's other series, the one with Aurora Teagarten (need I say more?).

More to come....

Regards, Kate Derie Creator of the ClueLass HomePage, http://www.cluelass.com Editor of the Deadly Directory, http://www.deadlyserious.com

-