RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled Dames

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 02:25:30 -0400

>Sue Grafton wrote . . . writes . . fantasies of what being a PI is like.

Oh, good one. As opposed to the real life stuff of Daly and Chandler and Macdonald and everyone else from Adams to, er, Zackel. Hey, it's almost all fantasy, even from the guys who actually walked the walk, like Hammett and Gores.

But what do I know? I didn't even know wolves, lone or otherwise, could row a boat, never mind up river.

>Evanovich is not only -not- funny but illiterate.

Okay, an argument could be made about her hardboiledness, or maybe even about if they're funny or not, but the author herself is illiterate? "Puss puss," as Bacall said in HARPER.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ This month: Sci-Fi P.I.'s, and thrilling new detective fiction by Chris Mills and Jack Curtin.

-