RARA-AVIS: Re: Rankin or Harvey for Reading List

Kate Derie (cluelass@cluelass.com)
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 21:22:34 -0700

Thanks to all who have welcomed me--hope to meet you at EyeCon.

If anyone wants to try Rankin, I highly recommend Knots and Crosses, his first, or Black and Blue, his 1997 Gold Dagger winner, although all his stuff is excellent. Both John Rebus (in Rankin's books) and Charlie Resnick (in Harvey's) operate as lone wolves within the police establishment (Edinburgh and Nottingam respectively), have emotional attachments that provide more anguish than comfort, and deal with career criminals as well as the occasional world-class nutcase. Rebus is a Rolling Stones fan, while Harvey prefers jazz. Considerably more booze than tea is drunk. (Both by the characters and by me, while reading.)

Regards, Kate Derie Creator of the ClueLass HomePage, http://www.cluelass.com Editor of the Deadly Directory, http://www.deadlyserious.com

-