RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V2 #781

Reed Andrus (randrus@home.com)
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 09:55:34 -0700

> Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:21:12 -0400
> From: Kevin Smith <kvnsmith@colba.net>

> Almost as ongoing as the definition debate are the regular squabbles about
> whether women writers, particularly those who haven't been dead for a few
> decades, can be hardboiled.

Well, yeah... and the topic segues once again into the difference between hardboiled and noir. A few years back, Mary Willis Walker wrote what I consider to be a near-perfect novel -- Under The Beetle's Cellar
-- with a wonderful storyline that feature multiple threads/viewpoints, a couple of which could fit into hardboiled company on the bookshelf. I'm not sure she qualifies with her complete body of work -- Zero At The Bone, The Red Scream, All The Dead Lie Down -- but I bet she comes close.

The other author I might name -- from referral only; haven't read her yet -- is Carol O'Connell. Although police procedurals, my understanding is that her principal character Kathy Mallory is as grim and unforgiving and tough-minded as any Spillane creation. And if we include Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch in our repetoire, Mallory might have to be included as well.

Another on the shelf -- unread to date -- that may qualify is Jenny Siler's Easy Money.

Best regards,

... Reed
-