RARA-AVIS: Re: PIMP

e j m duggan (ejmd@cwcom.net)
Sun, 09 May 1999 15:28:21 +0000 On Sat, 08 May 1999, Sandra Hess <shess@sirius.com> wrote:

> I finally read a book on the list and find I was in a group of one.

Mario read it too, and I think Bill's reading it now (suffering undue
eyeballing on the bus too, one imagines from the frequency of references
to bus travel in Bill's most recent posts), so you're not alone ...
also, I managed to cop a copy--from the biography section--of the local
library yesterday, so I'll post some comments in a day or five.

Mario's recent reference to Frank Gruber's _Pulp Jungle_ inspired me to
pull my copy of the shelf. I've dipped into this in the past, but not
really read it through. I'm about half way through at the moment, and
enjoying it. It's a very easy read, and quite compelling, as Gruber
takes us around NY of the 1930s: to the automat for 'automat soup', and
to the offices of the pulp editors, while attempting to avoid the
manager of the 45th Street Hotel.

Back to Sandra on _Pimp_:

> Like climbing to the top of a dung pile. You might have a view of
> a better life but it still stinks where you're at.

<g>

ED