Re: RARA-AVIS: God Is a Bullet

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 12:20:45 -0500 Ann Theis wrote:

> Librarians usually don't rely on just one review source to make their
> selections. I selected 9 copies for our library system, based on the
> starred review in PW, prepub information, B&T and Ingram order information,
> knowledge of our readers, website info and online posts, other reviews,
> available $, etc. The selection process should involve a range of input. It
> does seem the this book is not a middle of the road kinda book - you either
> like it or you don't. I haven't read it yet, 'cause we had reserves on it
> and our copies are in pretty constant circulation.
>
> I compare and track reviews and am always amused at the number of books that
> get a starred review (often assigned in an arbitrary process anyhow) or a
> glowing review in one review source and get trashed in another.
>
> I'm not picking on LJ, but I *was* amused to see that they just (4/15/99)
> reviewed Point of Origin as the 7/99 release by Patricia Cornwell. It will
> be released in paper in 8/99 and Black Notice will be released in hardcover
> in 7/99. Not that I'm waiting for any reviews to order Black Notice or the
> new Thomas Harris . . . it won't matter to my library users if both get
> trashed in reviews.
>
> Ann, Overbooked: http://www.overbooked.org/
>
> > Librarians relying on LJ for their purchases are unlikely to buy after
> > this.

Well, imagine my surprize when I opened my "D" Magazine yesterday to see
a "profile" on David Hale Smith. Sounds like he's a bazillion-aire. He
has a big, big movie deal going on this book, so I doubt that anybody's
gonna care what those stuffy old librarians buy.

--
from Mari Hall found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net
#