Re: RARA-AVIS: Jack's Return Home

David Lane (
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:28:41 +0100 In article <>,
Ned Fleming <> wrote:

> Uh, what happened at the end of _Jack's Return Home_? Did the shotgun
> blow up in Eric's face? I can't see this happening unless the end of the
> barrel was below the surface of the water, which it wasn't, judging from
> Lewis's description.

Not certain, but when I read this part of the novel, something clicked
(pun not intended).

Earlier in the novel there's mention of an engineering company and as the
gun wasn't used otherwise I assumed that he had the gun fixed in some way,
also the way in which that passage was written led me to see it as a trap,
because although a thug, Carter is meant to be a sympathetic character and
such an ending to the baddie would not mean making Carter a psychotic
which in real life he would have been. Especially to a British reader.

# To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to
# The web pages for the list are at