RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V2 #705

Reed Andrus (randrus@home.com)
Sun, 04 Apr 1999 14:17:28 -0700 > Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 15:12:06 EDT
> From: FICTWRI@aol.com
> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Westerns and the Hardboiled
>
> A discussion that I have not seen here on Rara Avis is the western --- After
> all, didn't the hardboiled characters evolve from westerns? I could be wrong..
>
> John Weaver, editor Page One

This is an interesting comment, but one that may be OT. Based on some
comparisions to Faulkner (a name that shows up a lot in this group),
I've ordered All The Pretty Horses and Blood Meridian by Cormac
McCarthy. The latter is particular interest to me in that several
members of the horror genre place it on their Top Ten lists.

So to comment on your question -- did hardboiled originate in westerns
(Shane, for example); or did noir?

... Reed
#