Re: RARA-AVIS: David Goodis

rikke & hanne kesten (rbkhbk@bcn.net)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:19:20 -0400 Nicole: Goodis' original title was "Down There." Truffaut bought screen
rights to that book and created his own title in French - "Ne Tirez Pas
le Pianiste". When the film was released in the States the English
language version was called "Shoot The Piano Player" which became the
title on the reissued paperback edition.
I have no idea how they went from "Don't Shoot...." to "Shoot...."
but I suspect either a lousy translation or a marketer with an eye to a
more succinct title. Helen Scott wrote a wonderful and very thorough
book on Truffaut and his work. Perhaps it contains some clarification on
the titling of this film.
--steve

#