RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V2 #683

Fred Willard (fwillard@bellsouth.net)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 00:01:11 -0500 >From: "David Hale Smith" <dhs@dhsliterary.com>
>Subject: RARA-AVIS: Richard Abshire
>
>I'm responding to last week's post about Richard Abshire. He's a friend and
>a client of mine in Dallas. Glad someone pointed him out to the list. His
>stuff is great, and certainly in the best of the hard-boiled tradition.
>He's still writing, but due to slow sales of his early books, we can't find
>a publisher for the Jack Kyle series. He's working on something new, and
>I'll let you know when we find him a new home.
>
>Best,
>David

Something I thought distinguished his writing is that it had a feel of
authenticity.

Instead of other people's recycled takes on the genre, you could tell
Abshire had put some thought into how to go through a door without getting
shot.

To me the HB genre works best when you think you are being drawn into a
darker reality by someone who knows the territory.

I don't think it really matters what sort of experience the writer has had.
It's more a matter of the voice they develop. But people with first hand
experience, or the willingness to do research, sure can find a lot of
gritty material out there waiting to be developed.

Of course, knowing what you're talking about, doesn't mean you can write
well about it. I thought Abshire hit the mark in both areas.

Fred
----
Down on Ponce a novel by Fred Willard
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/~fwillard