Re: RARA-AVIS: The Big Nowhere (w/spoilers)

Ckottos Nikolai (greenman@cyberport.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 21:20:58 -0700 Philip Benz wrote:

> Just been reading James Ellroy's _The Big Nowhere_, and more impressed
> than ever with the technique.

SPOILERS

Ah yeah, that one is a fave. I especially love the way the book has
three protagonists and three sections and builds up to three climaxes,
killing off one protagonist at the end of the first and second sections.
The end of the third section can be found at the beginning of _L.A.
Confidential_ the novel (and at the end of _L.A. Confidential_ the film,
but with White and Exley instead of Meeks) - just like the first three
chapters of Joyce's _Ulysses_ really comprise the sixth book of
_Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man_.

It also contains one of my favorite lines in American prose: "He missed
Mal wicked bad."

-Ckottos Nikolai

--
"Here I am with a cup of coffee and together we are strong."
-Richard Hell