Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammett: Joe Gores Version

Maki Nakada (makihna@ga2.so-net.or.jp)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:28:23 +0900 (JST) At 0:07 PM 99.3.14, Bill Crider wrote:
> Rick Robinson's comment about Joe Gores' novel callet HAMMETT reminds me
> that there was also a movie based on the novel. The movie wasn't very good,
> certainly not as good as I'd hoped it would be, but it was at least notable
> for the fact that Ross Thomas had a bit part in it. (Thomas is one of my
> favorite writers.)

Ross Thomas completed the scenario of the movie that Joe Gores himself
could'nt.
In the novel HAMMETT, many characters in CONTINENTAL OP series' models
appered. Gores chose almost same place in Chinatown alley Hammett used.
As Author's Note says, Hammett lived the same place that Samuel Spade's
apartment in 1928. In this book, Jimmy Wriht(!), and even Bill Pronzini's
great-uncle(he was a real bootleger, but maybe the name was't Bill) appered.
I love this book as I love Dashiell Hammett.

Maki Nakada(a.k.a.,Hirotsuji)
makihna@ga2.so-net.ne.jp

#