RARA-AVIS: Re: Macdonald fav's

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:14:39 -0500 Gee, my Macdonald favs are probably THE CHILL, THE UNDERGROUND MAN, THE
GALTON CASE and definitely THE BLUE HAMMER (the final novel, and the one
where finally blinks. I guess I'm a sucker for hardboiled heartbreak
stories). But I liked most of them. And I've always enjoyed the film
version of THE DROWNING POOL.

And I thought of another link: it's difficult to believe the writer of
NIGHT MOVES, with Gene Hackman, never read any Ross Macdonald. It's one of
those P.I. movies that never got the audience or respect it deserved, but
it's a classic.

Oh, and speaking of suckers, Bill Denton wrote:

>I'm a sucker for anything where a guy comes to town and stirs up trouble,
>or anything where someone wakes up next to a dead body.

Bill, get thee to a bookstore and lay your money down for a copy of Bill
Pronzini's A WASTELAND OF STRANGERS, possibly the best thing he's ever
done. It's a non-series tale that sounds like your kinda book. It was
originally a Walker hardcover, but it'll be coming out in paperback soon, I
think (when was it, Keith?). In fact, it might be a good one for the list,
when it comes out in paperback.

DAMN! There are just too few Walker books that make it into paperback...and
therefore my price range...

Kevin Smith
The Thrilling Detective Web Site
http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/

Now out: The February issue, with fiction from Robert Iles and Leigh Brackett,
and Face the Face, our new contest for fans of paperback eyes.! Yippy!

#