RARA-AVIS: Definitions again: cozies and hardboiled/noir

EJM Duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 09:59:08 +0000 On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, "blumenidiot" <blumenidiot@email.msn.com> wrote:

[SNIP]
> BTW, by the definition above are the Sherlock Holmes stories cozies? It's
> fairly close, but I think they differ enough from these standards to avoid
> that designation.

I would suggest that for the most part, there is a 'cosiness' in the SH
stories (social order: a place for everything and everything in its
place). However, there are times when SH breaks out of this, setting
himself up, a la his hardboiled cousin, as above the law. There are a
couple of stories (titles escape me, I could dig 'em out on request) in
which SH allows killers to go free, and one (like that Op story) in
which SH allows someone to be killed (ditto title stuff).

ED