RARA-AVIS: Children's Hard-Boiled?

EJM Duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Mon, 01 Mar 1999 09:52:01 +0000 On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, billha@ionet.net (Bill Hagen) wrote:

[SNIP]
> Seems to me you've just started a thread: what to introduce your child to
> (and maybe when).
[SNIP]
> Perhaps others have more helpful suggestions for bringing up baby, hard-boiled.

Here's a couple of titles I've seen when hanging around in the
children's section of bookshops:

_Samantha Spade, Girl Detective_ [possibly by Tony Bradman]

_Falcon's Malteser_ [there's a copy of this in the house somewhere]

I've tried to get my oldest (now 10, but he was 8 or 9 then) to read
Hammett and Chandler. He never got to grips with TMF or the Op, but he
did read Chandler's 'Goldfish', and also Conan Doyle's 'The Red Headed
League' and a couple of other Sherlock Holmes stories, and we had a
reasonable discusion of plot. Currently, he's steaming through Robin
Jarvis's Wyrd Museum trilogy which, from his reports, have some tough
and some creepy elements.

I promise to nudge him back toward Hammett and Chandler when he turns
eleven.

ED