Re: RARA-AVIS: Himes/Sallis/???

Nicole Leclerc (nicolel@cam.org)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:28:18 -0500 Bonsoir,

M-T wrote:

> Nicole:
>
> Himes's complete stories are also available in English from Thunder's
> Mouth Press;

mt, do you have a title for this collection? Sounds very interesting and I
will certainly not read it in French - I avoid translations as much as I
can.

> I treasure this collection and reread it frequently,
> picking stories at random. Some of these short tales are very moving,
> especially those about jail, justice (!), and the downtrodden in the old
> days. There is also that dark-toned, deadpan humor that I love so much
> in Himes. A superb collection. I don't think the NYT gave it the time of
> day when it came out, but I could be wrong. They rarely miss a book
> about cats, though, which makes me think a bit.

Sounds like the opposite of our critics who will do anything to skip a cat
(or mystery) or transform them into Literature (capital intended) to justify
reviewing them.

Merci,
Nicole
nicolel@cam.org