Re: RARA-AVIS: Himes/Sallis/???

Nicole Leclerc (nicolel@cam.org)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:27:10 -0500 Bonsoir,

M-T wrote:

> Nicole:
>
> Himes's complete stories are also available in English from Thunder's
> Mouth Press;

mt, do you have a title for this collection? Sounds very interesting and I
will certainly not read it in French - I avoid translations as much as I
can.

> I treasure this collection and reread it frequently,
> picking stories at random. Some of these short tales are very moving,
> especially those about jail, justice (!), and the downtrodden in the old
> days. There is also that dark-toned, deadpan humor that I love so much
> in Himes. A superb collection. I don't think the NYT gave it the time of
> day when it came out, but I could be wrong. They rarely miss a book
> about cats, though, which makes me think a bit.

Sounds like the opposite of our critics who will do anything to skip a cat
(or mystery) or transform them into Literature (capital intended) to justify
reviewing them. Luckily we now have lists like this where we can get simpler
and hopefully more honest opinions.

Merci,
Nicole
nicolel@cam.org