Re: RARA-AVIS: artie cohen/reggie nadelson

Peter Walker (pw@pw.cablenet.co.uk)
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 16:08:45 +0000 "stephen holden" wrote:
Subject: RARA-AVIS: artie cohen/reggie nadelson
> I read 'Red Mercury Blues' and 'Hot Poppies' and thought they were
> fairly good...... As an expatriate living in
> London, I'll be curious as to how she describes the place in 'Bloody
> London.'
I thought it was pretty good and intend to look up the other two.
Here's what I wrote for Tangled Web (www.twbooks.co.uk):
"Bloody London" Reggie Nadleson
Published Faber and Faber Pkb 9.99
Don't, as I have often said, judge a book by its cover. In this case
it's a puke pink job which is pretty scary. However it quickly
becomes apparent that this is a class act.
It is extremely well written - despite a dodgy opening which is worth
putting behind you quickly (a bit like the cover really) - and has a
nicely convoluted plot with a good host of characters to keep things
ticking over. The New York setting is wonderfully realised and the
first half of the book is the better for it. The action shifts to
London in the second half which gives rise to some fairly
`off-the-wall' stuff such as "London's big. Planet London" but by this
point you are hooked.
This is the first time I've come across PI Artie Cohen. There are two
earlier books which I for one will be checking out.
...so there you go.