RARA-AVIS: re. the name is bond

EJM Duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:37:20 -0800 On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Frederick Zackel <fzackel@bgnet.bgsu.edu> wrote:

[SNIP]
> But I do have a question. I believe Bond's personal choice of weapons was
> a .28 caliber Beretta. My friend insists it was a .25 Beretta, that there
> never has been a .28 Beretta. Can anybody give me a definitive answer?

I don't know the answer Fred--the make sounds familiar--but surely
anything with that small a calibre is 'a woman's gun'? There is though
'a James Bond Book' in the local library--next time I'm in there I'll
try to remember to check it to see if the size of Bond's weapon is given
;-)

> On a related note, I always felt that England's Prince Andrew should be
> the next James Bond. He was trained as a commando, worked as an actor,
> and who wouldn't believe him when he says he's on Her Majesty's Business?

During or after the Falklands/Malvinas fiasco, the UK Press (well, the
bit of it I read, anyway) reported that that particular HRH had been
dubbed 'Prince Bullshit' because, if I recall correctly (perhaps other
UK rara-avians can correct me if I'm wrong) some of the claims he made
about 'action' and other escapades while the ship he was on was kept
pretty well out of the line of fire.

ED